Department of

Electrical Engineering

Serving society through excellence in education, research, scholarship, and public outreach

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I know if my application has been received?

You will receive a confirmation by e-mail within 72 hours after submitting your electronic application.

Where can I check the status of my completed application?

Unfortunately, we do not have an on-line status check.  When our Admissions Committee reaches a decision on your application, you will receive an E-mail notification.  You are welcome to send E-mail to the department, but we ask that you please refrain from contacting us until after April 15 because the applicant review period is during January through April 15.

Please note that we will not give admission decisions to anyone but the applicant.

Can the TOEFL exam be waived?

The TOEFL exam will be waived for any student who has, or will be receiving, a degree from a U.S. institution before enrolling at Penn State.

Where should ETS send my GRE & other test scores?

Please specify the following codes when requesting ETS to forward your test results.

GRE Institution Code 2660

TOEFL Institution Code 2660

Is a photocopy of my GRE/TOEFL acceptable?

No, we must receive official scores from ETS. Applications without official scores will not be reviewed. Please allow up to a month for ETS to transmit your scores to Penn State; order early. Please tell us if your name on your test scores differs from your application.

Can I request an application fee waiver?

No, the fee is collected to help defray the cost of processing applications.  Your application will not be considered until the appropriate fee is received by Graduate Enrollment Services.

I was refused admission. Can my file be re-evaluated or can I reapply?

If you are refused admission, you must reapply on-line and pay the application fee. Uploaded documents from your previous application remain on-line but can be replaced as needed. Contact us for assistance.

Why haven't I received my I-20?

The Directorate of International Student Advising (DISA) is responsible for issuing these documents. If you provided a financial guarantee with your application materials, it was forwarded to their office for processing. If you haven't provided a financial guarantee, you need to do so. Please be patient as the DISA office has thousands of these documents to process. They work diligently to get these documents issued in a timely manner.