The mission of our undergraduate program is to provide a high-quality education in electrical engineering for our students and to instill in them the attitudes, values, and vision that will prepare them for lifetimes of success, continued learning, and leadership in their chosen careers. A combination of required and elective courses ensures that students acquire a broad knowledge base in electrical circuits, digital systems, electronic devices, electromagnetics, and linear systems, as well as expertise in one or more areas of specialization. Additional problem-solving skills and practical experience are developed through design projects and laboratory assignments, which also provide opportunities for developing team-building and technical communication skills.
Program Educational Objectives
The BSEE Program provides undergraduates with a broad technical education important for employment in the private or public sector, and it teaches them fundamentals, current issues, and creative problem solving skills essential for future years of learning. Several years after earning their degrees, our graduates should be able to accomplish the following:
- Electrical engineering practice in technical assignments such as design, product development, research, manufacturing, consulting, testing, sales, and management;
- Participation and leadership on teams comprised of individuals with diverse professional and cultural backgrounds;
- Continued learning and professional development through such activities as graduate school, distance education, professional training, and membership in professional societies.
At the time of graduation, our students are expected to have attained the following:
- A fundamental background in mathematics, the natural sciences, and computer programming necessary for further study in electrical engineering;
- A broad knowledge base in both the quantitative and physical aspects of electrical engineering;
- The design skills necessary for electrical engineering practice;
- An ability to apply the core electrical engineering knowledge base to the solution of more advanced engineering problems;
- Development of interpersonal and communication skills in a professional context;
- The perspective of electrical engineering as a profession.